South Kesteven District Council’s Enterprise Week was a week of Insight, Inspiration and Advice.
Allie @ Your Office attended Fresh Marketing Ideas. Read on to find out more …
Businesses came, unsure of what to expect. Others were expecting a speaker with PowerPoint presentation talking ‘at’ them. What they didn’t expect is Louise’s particular brand of marketing delivery. An experienced marketing trainer Louise knew that the best way to get attendees taking action is get them actively participating in the session.
This is why Louise developed and launched the Marketing Lunch Club in 2013.
“I was delighted when SKDC approached us asking if we’d like to take part in their Enterprise Week. Enterprise Week helps new starts and SMEs gain access to business expertise and knowledge, enabling participants to drive their businesses and ideas forward. It was a natural fit for the Marketing Lunch Club which brings businesses together to debate marketing topics and test new marketing ideas.”
The session began with a short presentation designed to set up and frame the brainstorming sessions that were to follow. “If you’re looking for fresh marketing ideas, why?” Louise asked the delegates and gave them some points to think about:
- Who are your ideal customers?
- What stage are they at? Unaware of you, ready to buy, repeat purchase, refer or inactive.
- What works for you now and doesn’t work?
- What is your budget?
The two sessions saw some lively discussions taking place between businesses from all walks of life. Armed with a handout of 75 ideas to get them started attendees were split into smaller brainstorming groups.
Several clear themes came out of the two days.
Plan and just do it!
As one delegate said “You need to write down a plan. This doesn’t have to be 10 pages, 1 page will do.” The plan needs timings, a budget and who will be responsible for carrying out the actions. Then just get on and do it!
Be smarter and more targeted
Another key theme was thinking smarter about your activities, from developing a hit list of 20 businesses you want to do business with through to using your time more efficiently on social media – use lists on Twitter and LinkedIn to track targets and find contact names.
Social media came up often in both sessions and is a good tool for encouraging word-of-mouth. Make sure you’re delighting your customers and adding value to make that word-of-mouth happen. Also take a look at how your competitors are using social media; do something different to the competition.
Keep in touch with customers
The most talked about theme for existing customers was how to keep in touch effectively. Emails, sales letters, printed newsletters, blogs and social media are all good tools for keeping in touch so use a variety and mix it up.
Ask for the referral
Referrals really are like gold, so thank the person who has referred you. Ideas included sending a thank you card, chocolates, flowers and gift vouchers.
Other favourite ideas included:
- Joint ventures and complimentary products/services can help you reach more people.
- Tie advertising in with editorial to get more exposure
- Use google analytics to track and understand your website visitors
- Create videos and podcasts for your blog, Youtube and websites
- Use google ads to raise awareness and generate traffic for your website
- Attend events where your customers will be – think outside the box
- Seek out celebrity endorsements and sponsorship opportunities
- Make better use of your stationery
- Piggyback on national events
- Use your database more effectively
- Follow up with existing customers
Blog Source: Louise Hodgkinson from Marketinginaction
Your Office Tweets
- The perfect recipe for a happy life 😊
#weekendmood #happyweekend #takecareofyourself #snoopyrocks #noworktoday https://t.co/4zLd697GSi
about 4 weeks ago
- A thought from Allie @ Your Office - is it your time to rise?
#tuesdaymotivation #tuesdaythoughts #positivevibes… https://t.co/AwKUEfPS2r
about 3 months ago
- Congratulations to me!
I've completed all four quarterly product updates so my @Xero advisor certification is rene… https://t.co/XeUGukKCwl
about 5 months ago
- The perfect recipe for a happy life 😊 #weekendmood #happyweekend #takecareofyourself #snoopyrocks #noworktoday https://t.co/4zLd697GSi